Costco is a warehouse club that sells a range of goods and services to its members. While Costco ranks high in overall customer satisfaction, the size of this company means that it gets a lot of calls from members and potential members every day.
Why Do People Call Costco Customer Service?
People call Costco customer service for a variety of reasons, including:
- Setting up a new membership
- Changing or canceling a membership
- Questions about member benefits, such as insurance, travel, or health care services
- Technical support for electronics
- Questions about refunds or exchanges
- Help with online ordering
- Complaints or requestions about the in-warehouse experience
Best Tips for Calling Costco Customer Support
Here are some tips for getting answers to questions or resolving issues with Costco quickly when you call Costco customer service:
- Make sure you are calling the right number. Costco has different numbers for different departments and services, including membership, technical support for electronics, pharmacy and online orders.
- Each customer service department has its own hours. Warehouse and membership customer service is available from Monday to Friday, from 6 am to 6 pm Pacific time. Saturday to Sunday, from 8 am to 5 pm Pacific.
- If your problem or question pertains to a local warehouse, such as a lost item, poor service from an employee, or a question about business hours, call the warehouse directly.
- Have your membership number in front of you. You'll find this on your card or on correspondence from Costco.
- Costco has a co-branded credit card with Citibank. If you have the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card and need customer service, you'll have to contact Citibank.
- If you are calling Costco's Concierge Services for an electronic item, Costco asks you to have the following handy along with your membership number: Item number (you can find this on your receipt, along with the purchase date), along with your item's model and serial numbers.
How Do People Feel About Their Calls to Costco Customer Service?
Costco has a strong reputation for providing excellent customer service and club members are generally happy with the support they receive from representatives. The company is particularly well-known for its robust returns policy.
Media reports of Costco customer service are generally positive. One slightly negative story noted a case in which a member with a history of excessive returns lost her Costco membership. The decision was made by a customer service executive, who did refund her membership fee for the year.
What Sort of Issues Can Costco Phone-Based Customer Service Resolve?
Costco customer service representatives can handle a range of issues, including membership enrollments and renewals, e-commerce issues and comments and concerns about customer satisfaction.
What Can't Easily Be Resolved Over the Phone with Costco?
There are some issues that are not easily resolved by calling Costco:
- Individuals who sign up for a Costco membership online or over the phone must visit a local Costco store to complete their registration and obtain a membership card. Costco membership cards include a photograph of the member, so an in-store visit is a must.
- Returns must be made at a store or by mailing the product back to Costco.
- Costco.com offers a price adjustment service: If the price you paid on Costco.com for an item drops within 30 days of purchase, you can request an adjustment. However, adjustments can only be completed via an online form.
- Requests for technical support may require you to bring your item into a warehouse for repair.
What Can I Do if my Call to Costco is Unsuccessful?
Calls to good companies sometimes go bad. If you get off the phone with Costco and feel as though you didn't accomplish anything, don't fret. There are options available to you.
The first thing to do is take some notes on what happened during your call. Try to remember the representative's name, and take down the date and time of your conversation. This can be very useful if you need to escalate your case.
- Try calling Costco again. You may be able to connect with a representative who has more experience or training and who can resolve your issue.
- Costco offers a live chat option on its website. One advantage to live chat is that you'll have a written record of your communication.
- Costco does not offer the option of communicating via email or via social media platforms. You can, however, send a letter via postal mail. If you go this route, make sure that you send your letter with delivery confirmation. This will be useful if you don't receive a response and need to escalate your case.
- Visit your local Costco and ask to speak to a manager. In some cases, talking to someone who is directly in front of you may be what is needed to communicate effectively and discuss your options and alternatives.