US Citizenship & Immigration Service Customer Service

Ways to contact US Citizenship & Immigration Service and solve common issues

Use US Citizenship & Immigration Service's Phone Number

US Citizenship & Immigration Service's customer service phone number is the best way to reach them and resolve issues. While there may be a wait, you will be able to talk to a real human being.
If you think your issue may not warrant a phone call, you can also read below for answers to common questions.
You can also scan over all the phone and non-phone-based contact information we've gathered for US Citizenship & Immigration Service

Contacting US Citizenship & Immigration Service customer support

Below you can compare and contrast the 5 ways to contact US Citizenship & Immigration Service by looking at which ones are the fastest and which ones other customers recommend the most for solving US Citizenship & Immigration Service customer service issues as reported to us by the 50 million or so customers that come to GetHuman each year and share their experiences. You can contact US Citizenship & Immigration Service across the following channels: Phone, Email, Web, Chat.

Phone number / contactWaitVotes
Customer Service
3 mins448
International Customer Service
10 mins114
Customer Service
< 38 hrs92
Online Help at
Customer Service
< 2 hrs436
Live Chat at
Customer Service
7 mins63

US Citizenship & Immigration Service: top questions, issues & solutions

Be sure to check out the full answer to your question listed below. We have written extensive, step-by-step guides for even the most vexing of customer service problems for US Citizenship & Immigration Service.
What are the citizenship test and interview requirements?
The citizenship test and interview requirements are part of the naturalization process for individuals seeking to become U.S. citizens. These requirements aim to assess the applicant's knowledge of U.S. history, government, and English language skills. The citizenship test consists of a written exam and an oral interview conducted by an immigration officer. It evaluates the applicant's understanding of the rights, responsibilities, and values of U.S. citizenship. The interview ensures the applicant's eligibility and involves questions about the application, personal background, and supporting documents. Additionally, applicants are required to demonstrate their ability to speak, write, and read English during the interview. Adequate preparation is crucial for successfully completing these requirements and achieving U.S. citizenship.
What documents are required for a naturalization application?
To apply for naturalization, several documents are necessary. These include the completed N-400 application form, valid identification documents such as a passport or driver's license, and proof of lawful permanent resident status with the green card. Additionally, applicants need to provide evidence of continuous residence in the United States, which can be demonstrated through tax returns, employment records, or school enrollment records. Proof of physical presence in the country, such as travel records, is also required. Furthermore, applicants must provide two passport-style photographs along with the fee payment. In certain cases, individuals may need to submit supporting documentation for special circumstances, like military service or marriage to a U.S. citizen. It is vital to review the specific requirements provided by the USCIS prior to submitting the application to ensure all necessary documents are included.
Can I work in the US while my green card application is pending?
Yes, you may be able to work in the US while your green card application is pending. Depending on the circumstances and the type of application you have filed, you may be eligible for a work permit, also known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). To obtain an EAD, you must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Processing times for EAD applications vary, but typically range from a few weeks to a few months. Once you receive your EAD, you can legally work in the US while your green card application is being processed. It is important to note that not all green card applicants are eligible for an EAD, and the specific requirements and restrictions may vary depending on your particular situation.
What is the difference between a Visa and a Green Card?
A visa and a green card serve different purposes in the realm of immigration. A visa is a temporary document granted to individuals who wish to enter the United States for a specific purpose, such as tourism, work, or study. It allows them to stay in the U.S. for a limited period, typically ranging from a few weeks to several years, depending on the type of visa. On the other hand, a green card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, grants lawful permanent residency in the United States. It provides individuals with the authorization to live and work indefinitely in the country. Green card holders enjoy nearly all the rights and benefits of U.S. citizens, except for voting in federal elections, and can eventually pursue naturalization to become U.S. citizens after meeting certain requirements. In summary, while a visa allows temporary stay, a green card offers permanent residency in the United States.
What are the eligibility requirements for the DACA program?
To be eligible for the DACA program, individuals must meet certain criteria. Firstly, they must have arrived in the United States before turning 16 and have continuously resided here since June 15, 2007. Additionally, they should have been physically present in the country on June 15, 2012, when the program was introduced. Applicants must be currently enrolled in school, have graduated high school, obtained a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. They should not have any felonies, significant misdemeanors, or multiple misdemeanors on their record, and should not pose a threat to national security or public safety. Finally, individuals should be at least 15 years old, unless they are already in removal proceedings or have a final removal or voluntary departure order.
How long does it take to become a US citizen?
The time it takes to become a US citizen varies, depending on individual circumstances and the type of application filed. On average, the process takes around 8 to 14 months from the time of filing the naturalization application. Factors that may affect the timeline include the backlog of applications, the workload of USCIS, and the completion of necessary background checks and interviews. In some cases, it may take longer if there are any issues or complications with the application. It's important to note that the processing times can change, so it is advisable to check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date information.
Can I lose my US citizenship?
Yes, it is possible to lose your US citizenship, but the circumstances are rare. There are three ways this can occur. First, if you willingly renounce your citizenship before a US diplomat or consular officer. Second, if you commit an expatriating act with the intent to give up your US citizenship, such as serving in a foreign military against the US or working for a foreign government that requires renunciation of US citizenship. Lastly, if you obtain naturalization in another country voluntarily, you may lose your US citizenship. However, if you acquire foreign citizenship through marriage, employment, or other non-expatriating acts, your US citizenship will typically not be affected. It is important to consult with an immigration attorney regarding your specific situation.
There's more!
Click below to show 2 more questions, answers, and complete guides to common US Citizenship & Immigration Service customer support problem.

Recent reasons customers contacted US Citizenship & Immigration Service:

We have been waiting * months to hear something on I-***A. Is something wrong with it?
I need to know if uscis received my I-*** documents
I want to check my account documents
Filed for Premium Processing, but the status does not show that premium processing has...
Issue with sponsored immigrant
A mistake was made on an I-*** filing. Need advice how to fix problem and next step to take
Can My wife and I do joint application on status change from B* to F* gor me and F* for...
I need to ask specific questions about my wife’s residence status. We were told that we...
More customer issues

Help me with my issue

Does GetHuman work with US Citizenship & Immigration Service?

GetHuman does not work with US Citizenship & Immigration Service's customer support operations, directly or in any other way. GetHuman has no partnership or relation to US Citizenship & Immigration Service at all. GetHuman works with customers everywhere to compile the best tips and tools for reaching call centers faster and solving common customer problems effectively. Much of the information on this website comes from customers who struggled to find the best contact information or solve a problem and shared their story. The information on this website is edited frequently, but for the most accurate and up to date contact information, it may be useful to check US Citizenship & Immigration Service's own website for new or more up to date information about calling or messaging their call center. If you'd like to help in the effort to improve customer service for all, please share this page!

Contacting US Citizenship & Immigration Service at a Glance

US Citizenship & Immigration Service has 1 chat option
US Citizenship & Immigration Service has 1 customer email
US Citizenship & Immigration Service has 1 help forum
US Citizenship & Immigration Service has no twitter handle
US Citizenship & Immigration Service has no facebook page
Contact information overview

Answered on this page:

How Do I Apply for a Us Passport?
Solutions to common issues

Contacting Other Companies

Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!