Hello,**I spoke with a Vanguard specialist today about my Roth IRA accounts. I mention...

GetHuman3238495's Ask For Tax Help issue with H&R Block from July 2019

Help with my H&R Block issue
First: share to improve GetHuman3238495's odds
Strength in numbers! Companies respond better when others are watching.
Before contacting them, items GetHuman3238495 may need:
Social Security Number, Email on Account, Password, Prior Year AGI, Home Address, Name of Account Holder, and Phone Number
The issue in GetHuman3238495's own words
Hello,**I spoke with a Vanguard specialist today about my Roth IRA accounts. I mentioned to him that I am married and filing separately, and he let me know that if I had this status when I contributed the $** to my Roth IRA account on ********, then I over-contributed. Thus, I would need to fill out an amended tax return before *******, with the appropriate forms filled (****-R and ****). **On further investigation, I sent a W* form on ******** to my employer to change to "married, filing single rate." I noticed that my first paycheck with tax status as "married, filing single rate" was on ********. On my previous paycheck on ********, I had a tax status as "married, filing jointly." **Thus, my question is the following--- Since I contributed $** BEFORE my paycheck on ******** (which withdrew at new "married filing single status"), is it correct that I do NOT have to file an amended tax return? Or does the IRS look at the W* form date (********) to decide WHEN to count me as "married filing single rate"--- in which case, I would have overcontributed to the Roth and thus, I would have to file an amended tax return?**I noticed that I was never sent a ****-R form to fill out, or a tax notice from Vanguard apart from the **** form. I know that I presented a complicated case, but would appreciate any guidance you can provide. **Thank you very much.**- Jeevan

GetHuman3238495 did not yet indicate what H&R Block should do to make this right.

How GetHuman3238495 fixed the problem

We are waiting for GetHuman3238495 to fix the problem and share the solution with the rest of us customers.

Do you have a customer issue as well?
We can help you get H&R Block's attention and get better help faster. Tap below to get started.
Help from Real People?
If our free tools aren't enough, we partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.
Chat with a Live Expert
Having H&R Block issues too?
Get tips from pros & other customers, and get it handled faster:
For better results, write at least 100 characters
This email address isn't valid

H&R Block

Ask For Tax Help issue
Reported by GetHuman3238495
Jul 12th, 2019 - 4 years ago
Not resolved
Seen by 16 customers so far
Similar issue to 15503 others
0 customers following this


GetHuman3238495 started working on this issue
Jul 12th, 2019 8:34pm

Paying Your Telecom Too Much?

After helping consumers for 10 years, we realized that you need an impartial, live person you can talk to about comparing the various TV, cable, Internet and phone plans in your area- somebody who can compare the best deals across telecom providers. So we created a free concierge service you can call at the phone number below.

Call Anytime: 888-379-2546Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals across many companies