US Department of State - Visa Department Customer Service

Ways to contact US Department of State - Visa Department and solve common issues

Use US Department of State - Visa Department's Phone Number

US Department of State - Visa Department's customer service phone number is the best way to reach them and resolve issues. While there may be a wait, you will be able to talk to a real human being.
If you think your issue may not warrant a phone call, you can also read below for answers to common questions.
You can also scan over all the phone and non-phone-based contact information we've gathered for US Department of State - Visa Department

Contacting US Department of State - Visa Department customer support

Below you can compare and contrast the 2 ways to contact US Department of State - Visa Department by looking at which ones are the fastest and which ones other customers recommend the most for solving US Department of State - Visa Department customer service issues as reported to us by the 50 million or so customers that come to GetHuman each year and share their experiences. You can contact US Department of State - Visa Department across the following channels: Phone.

Phone number / contactWaitVotes
Public Inquiries Division
3 mins24
Visa Information
7 mins6

US Department of State - Visa Department: top questions, issues & solutions

Be sure to check out the full answer to your question listed below. We have written extensive, step-by-step guides for even the most vexing of customer service problems for US Department of State - Visa Department.
What types of visas does the US Department of State issue?
The US Department of State issues various types of visas depending on the purpose of travel. Nonimmigrant visas are available for temporary visits to the US, including categories such as tourist, business, student, and work visas. Tourist visas (B-2) permit leisure travel, while business visas (B-1) allow individuals to engage in specific business-related activities. Student visas (F and M) are for academic purposes and vocational study respectively. Work visas can be obtained for employment in various fields, including the temporary worker (H) and intra-company transferee (L) visas. Immigrant visas are available for individuals planning to permanently reside in the US, including family-sponsored, employment-based, and diversity visas. Each visa category has specific requirements and it is crucial to consult the US Department of State for accurate and detailed information.
How long can I stay in the United States on a visa?
The duration of stay in the United States on a visa depends on the specific visa type you hold. Some visas allow for longer stays, while others have shorter durations. For example, the B1/B2 visitor visa typically permits stays of up to six months, whereas student visas (F or M) are valid for the duration of the educational program. Non-immigrant work visas such as H-1B may grant authorized stay for up to three years initially, with potential extensions. Immigrant visas, like family-sponsored or employment-based visas, allow permanent residency in the United States. To determine the specific duration of your stay, consult the visa type guidelines on the US Department of State website or contact your local US Embassy or Consulate.
Do I need a visa to transit through the United States?
Yes, in most cases, you will need a visa to transit through the United States. If your nationality is not eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which allows certain visitors to enter the US for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days without a visa, you will need a transit visa. Transit visas are required for individuals passing through the United States to another foreign destination, with a few exceptions such as travelers from countries exempt from the visa requirement for US visitors. It is crucial to check if you need a transit visa well in advance of your travel plans, as it may take some time to process the visa application. Contact your nearest US embassy or consulate for specific information based on your nationality and travel circumstances.
What are the requirements for obtaining a student visa?
To obtain a student visa, applicants must fulfill specific requirements. Firstly, they must be accepted into a recognized U.S. educational institution and demonstrate proof of admission. Additionally, applicants need to pay the SEVIS fee and complete the online Form DS-160. They must possess a valid passport that is valid for six months beyond their intended stay in the U.S. Financial evidence proving their ability to cover educational expenses and living costs is also necessary. Applicants must provide evidence of their intent to return to their home country after completing their studies, ensuring strong ties to their home. Furthermore, a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate is required. It is crucial to check the specific requirements for the student visa category and prepare the necessary documents well in advance.
Can I check the status of my visa application online?
Yes, applicants can check the status of their visa application online through the Department of State's website. The online portal, known as the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC), allows individuals to track the progress of their visa application at any time, providing them with up-to-date information. To access this service, applicants must enter their unique application identification number, date of birth, and the security code provided. Additionally, the CEAC provides alerts and notifications regarding any updates or changes to the visa application status. This online system ensures transparency and convenience for applicants, allowing them to stay informed throughout the processing of their visa application.
Can I extend my stay in the United States on a visa?
Yes, under certain conditions, you can extend your stay in the United States on a visa. If you are currently in the US on a nonimmigrant visa, you may be eligible for an extension if you meet specific requirements. To request an extension, you must file an application with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before your authorized stay expires. Extensions are generally granted for purposes like tourism, business, or medical treatment, but each visa category has its limitations, and not all visas are eligible for extensions. It is crucial to consult the USCIS website or seek guidance from an immigration attorney to determine if your visa allows for extensions and to understand the specific eligibility criteria and procedures.
What documents do I need to include with my visa application?
When submitting a visa application to the US Department of State, it is vital to include specific documents to ensure a smooth process. The necessary paperwork varies based on the type of visa requested, but generally, applicants should include their valid passport, a completed visa application form (DS-160), a passport-sized photo meeting the required specifications, the MRV fee payment receipt, and the appointment confirmation receipt. Additionally, individuals must provide supporting documents such as a letter of invitation, travel itineraries, proof of financial capability, and evidence of ties to their home country. Specific requirements might apply depending on the visa category, so applicants should consult the consulate's website or contact the embassy for precise instructions. Skipping any essential documents could delay or jeopardize the visa application.
There's more!
Click below to show 2 more questions, answers, and complete guides to common US Department of State - Visa Department customer support problem.

Does GetHuman work with US Department of State - Visa Department?

GetHuman does not work with US Department of State - Visa Department's customer support operations, directly or in any other way. GetHuman has no partnership or relation to US Department of State - Visa Department at all. GetHuman works with customers everywhere to compile the best tips and tools for reaching call centers faster and solving common customer problems effectively. Much of the information on this website comes from customers who struggled to find the best contact information or solve a problem and shared their story. The information on this website is edited frequently, but for the most accurate and up to date contact information, it may be useful to check US Department of State - Visa Department's own website for new or more up to date information about calling or messaging their call center. If you'd like to help in the effort to improve customer service for all, please share this page!

Contacting US Department of State - Visa Department at a Glance

US Department of State - Visa Department has no chat option
US Department of State - Visa Department has no customer email
US Department of State - Visa Department has no help forum
US Department of State - Visa Department has no twitter handle
US Department of State - Visa Department has no facebook page
Contact information overview

Answered on this page:

How much does it cost to apply for a US visa?
Solutions to common issues

Contacting Other Companies

Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!