What Do I Do If I'm Missing a Social Security Payment?

If you don't receive your payments on time, the SSA suggests that you call the agency on the phone and ask for help.here some helpful tips to assist you.

Nov 19, 2019

Social Security payments are benefits given to qualified people with disabilities, retirees, their spouses, or their children. The federal payment is meant to provide disadvantaged people with a partial replacement of their income or the income of their qualifying ex-spouse, spouse, or parent. If you don't receive your Social Security payment, you may report it.

SSI Payments

You will receive your SSI payments at the beginning of every month. If, however, the payment date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, you will receive your benefits the next day.

If you don't receive your payments on time, the SSA suggests that you call the agency on the phone and ask for help. You should wait at least three days before calling to report that your payment is missing. You may receive your payment on direct deposit, Electronic Transfer Account, or the Direct Express® card program.

SSDI Payments

If you started receiving SSDI payments after 1997, you would receive payments depending on your birthday. If you started receiving

Payments before 1997, you should receive your payments on the third day of every month. If the date falls on a legal holiday, Saturday, or Sunday, your benefits may be paid before or after the date

If Your Social Security Payments Reduced

If you realize that your social security check fell short, it may be due to any of the following reasons;

1. You owe certain debts such as student loans, back taxes, and unpaid alimony

2. Your income increased

3. An increased Medicare premium caused by a higher income

How to Report Your Missing Payment

Unlike in the past, you now need to receive social security benefits through Electronic transfer. The new payment method has improved efficiency and reduced your chances of missing a payment. You may miss your payments because of the following reasons;

1. If you did not give the SSA your updated payment account or direct deposit information

2. If there are concerns about your eligibility for the program

You may be subject to an offset if you have not yet reached your full retirement age and are still working.

The agency protects the first $750 that you receive in benefits.

If your SSA-issued Direct Express debit card or your bank card is missing or stolen, you should contact your bank and the SSA as soon as possible. If you do not, thieves may access your SSA payment.

The best way to report SSA missing payments, lost, or stolen cards is by calling them. You may also report to the nearest SSA office. You will get the chance to speak with a representative. They will work with you to identify the cause of your missing payment. They will explain why your payment was not processed as usual or why it was not deposited to your card.

If you feel that your payment has been wrongly denied, you may ask the representative to help you. If you have a debt that is offsetting your payment, pay it and you will continue to receive your Social Security payments. If your payments have reduced because you have not attained the normal retirement age, they will get back to normal when you retire.

You may contact Social Security for any other problems that you experience when using their services. Be polite and respectful, and they will help you.

Another way to get the help of Social Security is on their help desk. It has plenty of helpful suggestions and targeted tips that may help you address your concerns. Social Security does not offer support on email, live chat, or social media sites.

Further questions?

Ask a followup or related question and we will try to provide an answer in seconds.
Christian has been writing about long hold times and customer service call center experiences since 2010. He's been featured in Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal and the Boston Globe.
What Do I Do If I'm Missing a Social Security Payment?

Help from Real People

We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $5 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.
Chat with an expert

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Social Security Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Social Security in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our What Do I Do If I'm Missing a Social Security Payment? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

Social Security

Asked 4 years ago
Updated 4 years ago
Viewed 3,801,855 times
Social Security
Social Security account
missing payments
payment issues
where's my check
payment inquiry
Missing Payment

Speak to An Expert Now

We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $5 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.
Get Live Expert Help
Was this page helpful?
Thank you and please share!
Thank you and please share!
Needs work
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!