Do I need to report my federal tax refund as income on my California state tax return?

Asked 9 months ago
No, you do not need to report your federal tax refund as income on your California state tax return. California follows the federal tax law, which treats tax refunds as a return of previously paid taxes and not as income. Therefore, your federal tax refund is not taxable on your California state tax return. However, it is important to note that if you received a state tax refund in a previous year and itemized deductions on your federal return, you may be required to report a portion of that refund as income on your federal tax return. This is known as the state tax refund deduction recovery. For more information, you can refer to the specific guidelines provided by the California Franchise Tax Board.
Adam Goldkamp is the editor / author responsible for this content.
Answered May 3, 2024

Need further help?

Type out your followup or related question and we will get you an answer right away.

Need to call California Franchise Tax Board?

If you need to call California Franchise Tax Board customer service, now that you have the answers that you needed, click the button below. You can either call them on your phone or use our free AI-powered phone to dial for you, get a rep for you, and more.
Call California Franchise Tax Board

California Franchise Tax Board

Find a list of many popular California Franchise Tax Board questions with answers or step by step guides on our FAQ page below. Or ask a whole new question and get an answer right away.
Call California Franchise Tax BoardCalifornia Franchise Tax Board Customer Service FAQAsk a Question
Was this page helpful?YesNeeds work
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!